Top News Stories...
This week, TheMat.com will move to the USOC platform, with a new look, new functionality, but with the same favorite features....
Shockley will succeed long-time chairman Jim Keen. Sr. as Chairman of the Board....
The Hawkeye senior will battle Virginia Tech's Devin Carter in the NWCA All-Star Classic on Saturday....
Cleveland, Kansas City, Louisville, New York City, Oklahoma City, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia & St. Louis are Div. I finalists. Div. II and III finalists also announced....
|USOC unveils Team USA Patriotic Video for July 4th as part of America Supports Team USA|
By Lindsey Hogan USOC
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Just in time for the Fourth of July weekend, the U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC) unveiled today a patriotic video of U.S. athletes on the podium at various Olympic Games, set to a rendition of the National Anthem.
Click here to watch Team USA Patriotic Video
The video, which includes clips of Olympic champions Henry Cejudo (wrestling), Apolo Anton Ohno (speedskating), Michael Phelps (swimming), Lindsey Vonn (alpine skiing), Shaun White (snowboarding) and others, was created in concert with the “America Supports Team USA” initiative.
The National Anthem is arguably American athletes’ favorite song to hear – their patriotic reward for winning an Olympic or Paralympic gold medal. With their hand on their hearts, as the American flag raises before them, this moving and emotional moment is a testament not only the athletes’ own hard work and dedication, but to all of America for supporting their journey. The video was developed to demonstrate the inherent connection between America’s athletes, the most patriotic holiday of the year, the support of Americans throughout the country, and America’s most sacred song.
Also featured in the video are Dan Jansen (speedskating), Magic Johnson (basketball), Michael Johnson (track & field), Hannah Kearney (freestyle skiing moguls), Carl Lewis (track & field), Evan Lysacek (figure skating), Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh (beach volleyball), Seth Wescott (snowboardcross), and the 2010 U.S. Paralympic Sled Hockey Team, alongside other U.S. athletes and proud Americans.
The video ends with a simple message: “Celebrate America’s birthday. Join Team USA.”
The video can be found on TeamUSA.org and will be released virally through a multitude of sites, including Facebook, YouTube, USAToday.com and NYTimes.com.
America Supports Team USA raises awareness and money to support Olympic and Paralympic athletes and hopefuls. By further emphasizing the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Teams’ connection with USA around the most patriotic time of the year, the initiative allows the USOC to continue to bring programming to communities throughout the U.S. and support more Americans who want to pursue Olympic and Paralympic dreams.
America Supports Team USA is also being featured in numerous events and initiatives throughout the summer, including:
* Visa Match: For every dollar sent by the challenge deadline of July 31, 2010, Olympic sponsor Visa will designate another $1 from their sponsorship for a total of $2, up to a maximum of $500,000. What citizens send can be doubled, as long as the USOC receives it by July 31, 2010.
* The Backyard Games: Free Olympic kits that include giveaways, recipes, trivia, crafts, information and instructions on how to adapt Olympic and Paralympic sports for the backyard. Physical and downloadable kits, including the U.S. Olympic 5-Ring Challenge, courtesy of 24 Hour Fitness, are available to fans for summer barbecues at www.teamusa.org
* National Governing Body (NGB) events and publications
* Major League Baseball games (PSAs and ceremonial first pitches)
* Public service announcements around the tagline “Together We Win”
* Hilton HHonors points donation program
* United Airlines Charity Miles program and in-flight programming
How Can Americans Help?
Log on to www.teamusa.org and make a donation to the U.S. Olympic Committee, U.S. Paralympics or to an NGB such as USA Wrestling.